PřF:C5850 Biophysical Chemistry I - Course Information
C5850 Biophysical Chemistry IFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Libuše Trnková, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Libuše Trnková, CSc.
Department of Chemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Chemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Tue 15:00–16:50 C12/311
- Absolutorim from physical chemistry and biochemistry
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- 1. Strategy and tactics of biophysical chemistry (basic questions and strategic approaches of biophysical chemistry, structural features of biopolymers, main role of CO2 and water in biological systems) 2. Some problems concerning space structure of biopolymers (tertiary and quaternary structure of biopolymers, stability of helical structures, hydrogen and disulphidic bonds, hydrophobic interactions) 3. Interaction of biological molecules with electromagnetic radiation (absorption of electrons, fluorescence and infrared spectroscopies, optical activity, light scattering, resonance methods; structure and function of biopolymers) 4. Size and shape of macromolecules (electron microscopy, hydrodynamic methods, diffusion, sedimentation and centrifugation, Roentgen crystallography) 5. Thermodynamics of biological systems (1) (specificity of biological system, statistical interpretation of entropy, role of entropy in biological processes, production of entropy, problem of standard states; ideal, regular and nonregular solutions, multi-component systems, dissipative structures) 6. Thermodynamics of biological systems (2) (formalism of non-equilibrium thermodynamics, energetics of evolution and regeneration processes) 7. Behaviour of macromolecules in solution (statistical interpretation of polymer solutions, Huggins-Flory conception, dialyse equilibrium, osmotic pressure of the polymer component/Donnan, Scatchard/, formation of random coil) 8. Polyelectrolytes (PEL) (theory of PEL at limiting concentration, distribution of counterions, expansion of polyions, thermodynamics, transport and electrical behaviour of PEL, models of PEL) 9. Kinetics of biological systems (kinetic processes with several substrates and intermediates, catalysis, enzymatic reactions and regulation of them, biological clocks) 10. Polarography and voltammetry of biological molecules (use of polarographic and voltammetric techniques in research of electrochemical behaviour of proteins, nucleic acids and its components; analysis of farmaceutic important molecules) 11. Electron and ions transfer processes in biological systems.
- Strategy and Tactics of Biophysical Chemistry. Some problems concerning space structure of biopolymers. Interaction of Biological Molecules with Electromagnetic Radiation. Size and Shape of Macromolecules. Thermodynamics of Biological Systems. Statistical Interpretation of Polymer Solution. Behaviour of Macromolecules in Solution. Polyelectrolytes. Kinetics of Biological Systems. Polarography and Voltammetry of Biological Molecules. Electron and Ion Transfer Processes in Biological System.
- required literature
- KODÍČEK, Milan and Vladimír KARPENKO. Biofysikální chemie. 2., přeprac. a rozš. vyd. Praha: Academia, 2000. 337 s. ISBN 8020007911. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part II, Techniques for the study of biological structure and function. 12th print. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 2001. xxix, s. 3. ISBN 0-7167-1189-3. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part I, The conformation of biological macromolecules. 11th print. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1999. xxii, 341. ISBN 0-7167-1042-0. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part III, The behavior of biological macromolecules. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1980. xxix, s. 8. ISBN 0-7167-1191-5. info
- H. Eisenberg: Biological Macromolecules and Polyelectrolytes in Solutions, Clarendon Press, Oxford 1976
- recommended literature
- Biochemie. Edited by Daniel Voet - Judith G. Voet, Translated by A. Maelicke - W. Müller-E. Weinheim: VCH Verlagsgesellschaft, 1992. 1237 s. ISBN 3-527-28242-4. info
- MORAWETZ, Herbert. Chování makromolekul v roztoku : Macromolecules in solution (Orig.). Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, nakladatelství Československé akademie věd, 1971. 512 s. info
- not specified
- KALOUS, Vítěz and Zdeněk PAVLÍČEK. Biofyzikální chemie. 1. vyd. Praha: Nakladatelství technické literatury, 1980. 349 s. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, discussion, theoretical training, ppt presentation, solution of typical examples
- Assessment methods
- two written tests and oral examination
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.