LF:VSPA0622p Pathology II - lecture - Course Information
VSPA0622p Pathology II - lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/4/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. MUDr. Markéta Hermanová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Leoš Křen, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Michal Hendrych (lecturer)
MUDr. Sylva Hotárková (lecturer)
MUDr. Marta Ježová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Filip Sokol (lecturer)
MUDr. Iva Staniczková Zambo, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Iva Svobodová (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Jana Šmardová, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Michal Tichý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Lukáš Velecký (lecturer)
MUDr. Víta Žampachová (lecturer)
Miroslava Čápová (assistant)
Mgr. Iva Holušová (assistant)
Jarmila Jelínková (assistant)
Kamila Kožíšková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Miroslav Hirt, CSc.
Department of Forensic Medicine - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: doc. MUDr. Leoš Křen, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Forensic Medicine - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- VSPA0521c Pathology - practicals
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- General Medicine (eng.) (programme LF, M-VL)
- General Medicine (programme LF, M-VL)
- Course objectives
- The main stress in the pathology course is given on macroscopic and microscopic correlation of diseases. After finishing the course the student should be able to: understand the basic pathologic processes (regressive changes, inflammaton, oncology, immune disorders); understand and be able to apply the basic classification of oncologic processes; understand the basic classification of etiologically defined processes (esp. infectious diseases); learn the most important methods used in diagnostic process and research (tissue processing, special stainings, histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, electron microscopy, molecular pathology); understand various disorders with respect to individual organs and organ systems; get familiar with the process of autopsy (the process of the autopsy and its evaluation); get familiar with laboratory processing of the tissue samples (description, tissue sampling);
- Learning outcomes
- Student is able to explain the discussed terms and concepts. Student is able to recognize and describe the macroscopic morphology of the basic diseases. Student is able to recognize and describe the microscopic morphology of the basic diseases. Student knows the etiology of the basic diseases. Student describes the pathophysiology of the basic diseases. Student describes the main symptoms of the basic diseases.
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), cirrhosis, tumors. Pathology of the gall bladder and biliary duct (stones, inflammations, tumors). Icterus. Pancreas: pancreatitis, diabetes, tumors.
- Pathology of the urinary system: Kidney stones, inflammation (glomerulonephiris, pyelonephritis), nephrosis. Uremia. Tumors of the kidney, ureter and urinary bladder. Pathology of the male genital system (inflammation, tumors). Pathology of the female genital system (developmental disorders, inflammation, tumors). Pathology of pregnancy. Pathology of the breast.
- Pathology of the central and peripheral nervous system: trauma, bleeding, vascular disorders. Leptomeningitis, hydrocephalus, brain edema. Tumors of the central and peripheral nervous system. Patology of the eye: trauma, inflammation, tumors.
- Pathology of the endocrine system: thyroid, parathyroid, suprarenal glands, hypophysis, endocrine panreas.
- Patology of the skin: inflammation, tumors and pseudotumors.
- Prenatal and neonatal pathology, pathology of childs age.
- Pathology of the bone, striated muscle and soft tissues.
- POVÝŠIL, Ctibor and Ivo ŠTEINER. Speciální patologie. 2nd ed. Praha: Galén, 2007. ISBN 978-80-7262-494-2. info
- MAČÁK, Jirka and Jana MAČÁKOVÁ. Patologie (Pathology). první. Praha: GRADA, 2004. 347 pp. ISBN 80-247-0785-3. info
- BUČEK, Jan. Praktikum z patologie :pitevní cvičení. 4. přepr. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1993. 88 s. ISBN 80-210-0721-4. info
- FEIT, Josef, P. MIŘEJOVSKÝ and I. STEINER. Kontrolní otázky z patologie (Test question in pathology). 1st ed. Praha: Triton, 1998. ISBN 80-85875-89-6. info
- Teaching methods
- Pathology course consists of lectures and practical classes. Teaching consists of theoretical part (lectures) and practical part (laboratory practice). Practical courses consist of histological practice (microscopical and macroscopical images of autoptical and bioptical specimens are demonstrated and discussed) and autoptical practice (presence and ev. participation in autopsies). Hypertext teaching materials for the students are available in our teaching rooms as well in the Internet. These materials contain about 3000 images of various imaging methods (macroscopic, x-ray, CT, MRI images, histological images, partially available as virtual slides, videos). Lectures and practicals are complementary. General information and new updates on classifications as well as images are presented at the lectures. Practicals add further information, histopathologicaly and autoptical experience. Further information is provided in our web-based teaching materials. Various forms of testing is used to give the students proper feedback. Students are supposed to prepare for each practical lesson. The topic for each practical lesson as well as for each lecture is available.
- Assessment methods
- Lectures: 3 hours/week Practical classes: 4 hours/week; microscopic and autoptic lessons. The course of pathology is closed by oral exam. Attendance is compulsory; knowledge of the students is periodically tested during the practical classes. Testing can be either oral or written (multichoice tests, essay). Exam after two semesters of pathology has two parts: practical and theoretical. Practical part of the exam takes the form of a discussion over the microscop or over macroscopical or microscopical images. In theoretical part of the exam the students discuss after short preparation randomly selected topics. The list of these topics is available to the students in advance.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Přihlášení ke zkoušce je podmíněno vykonáním zkoušky z neurověd.
The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/spring2018/VSPA0622p