LF:BLMB011c Mol.andCell.Biol.-pract. - Course Information
BLMB011c Molecular and Cellular Biology - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/3/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. MUDr. Augustin Svoboda, CSc., dr. h.c. (lecturer)
Mgr. Hana Hříbková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
Eva Skalová (assistant)
Mgr. Martina Vráblíková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Augustin Svoboda, CSc., dr. h.c.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Wed 8:30–11:00 B07/214
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Laboratory Assistant (programme LF, B-SZ)
- Course objectives
- After completion of the course student: operates light microscope; understands the basics of electron microscopy or the methods of karyotyping; is able to evaluate the risk of hereditary diseases in a patient on the basis of assigned family anamnesis of this disease; is able to design and evaluate simple biological experiment. Student is also able to apply this knowledge and skills in following subjects.
- Introduction. Viruses.
- Microscopic and submicroscopic structure of prokaryotic cells.
- Microscopic structure of eukaryotic cells.
- Tissue and cell cultures.
- Biomembranes. Osmosis.
- Electron microscopy.
- DNA structure and DNA replication.
- Expression of genetic information.
- Cell cycle.
- Human karyotype. Chromosomal aberrations.
- Autosomal and gonosomal inheritance.
- required literature
- Aktuální protokoly k praktickým cvičením jsou dostupné pouze v elektronické podobě na stránkách informačního systému MU (ISu): Studijní materiály předmětu BLMB011c
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practise, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Lessons are mandatory.
Students will bring their own writing implements, scissors and protocol. Download protocol for each practical class from the Study materials, print it and study it in advance. Lab shoes, lab coats and disposable gloves are not required.
Requirements for course completion: attendance in the practical classes (1 absence, excused or unexcused, is allowed), all protocols worked out (also for missed lessons) ad checked and signed by appropriate teachers, activity in the practical classes.
Substitution of practical classes: in case of illness, appointment at the doctor’s or foreign policy, student will arrange a substitution with another group on the same teaching week. To arrange a substitution, write an e-mail to the contact person of the subject in advance.
Essay: In case of student’s late arrival to the practice, poor activity at the practice or for second or any additional absence(s), student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic.
In case of 3 absences, or more than 3 excused absences (i.e. confirmed by the Office for Studies and introduced into the Information System), it is addressed individually and credit is given only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the whole term topics (so-called Credit test based on knowledge of the whole semester (20 questions - 10 test questions, more answers can be correct, and 10 terms for written explanation), student need to reach at least 14 points out of 20). In case of 4 or more unexcused absences, credit is not awarded.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses