FF:LJMedA08 Interpretative Med. Seminar II - Course Information
LJMedA08 Interpretative Seminar: Medieval Latin IIFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Dana Stehlíková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Antonín Bartoněk, DrSc.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Erlebachová
- Wed 15:00–16:35 VP
- LJBcA04zk Exam in Latin Grammar
Knowledge of Latin to the extent of the B. A. State Exam. The exam itself is not required for the enrollment to the course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objective of the course is to present the problems of research, interpretation and translation of medieval Latin poetry, using a selected piece of medieval writting. In this semester, the course will focus on the most famous collection of medieval secular poetry - Carmina Burana (the 12th century). When completing the course successufly, students will be able: to evaluate the present state of research on the collection Carmina Burana; to understand the language of selected poems and songs of this literary work; to analyze their prosodic systems; to create a commented translation of them; to interpret their content properly.
- 1. State of research.
- 2. Origin of the collection.
- 3. Structure and content of the work.
- 4. Importance of the collection within the medieval latin secular poetry.
- 5. Medieval prosody.
- 6. Reading, translation, interpretation of selected poems: 11, 16, 17, 41, 42, 44, 51, 74, 75, 100, 117, 123, 130, 131a, 136, 138, 143, 191, 196, 211, 219.
- Concordantia in Carmina Burana. Edited by Benedikt Konrad Vollmann - Manfred Wacht. Hildeshein: Olms-Weidmann, 1996. 887 s. ISBN 3-487-10253-6. info
- Carmina burana. Edited by Wilhelm Meyer - Alfons Hilka - Otto Schumann. 2., unveränderte Aufl. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, 1978. xvi, 112. ISBN 3533007804. info
- Carmina burana. Edited by Wilhelm Meyer - Alfons Hilka - Otto Schumann. 2. Aufl. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, 1971. xvi, 315. ISBN 3533007812. info
- Carmina Burana. Bd. 2, Kommentar. [H.] 1, Einleitung : (die Handschrift der Carmina Burana), die moralisch-satirischen Dichtungen. Edited by Alfons Hilka - Otto Schumann. Heidelberg: Carl Winter's Universitätsbuchhandlung, 1930. info
- Teaching methods
- One 2-hour seminar per week, reading (translation), class discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Type of teaching: seminar. Requirements: regular attendance in the course (min. 75%) and active participation in the class discussions; continuous reading of presented texts; written paper (translation with commentary).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 0.