FF:LJMedA08 Interpretative Med. Seminar II - Course Information
LJMedA08 Interpretative Seminar: Medieval Latin IIFaculty of Arts
The course is not taught in Spring 2022
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s) (plus 1 for the colloquium). Recommended Type of Completion: k (colloquium). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- prof. PhDr. Jana Nechutová, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Jana Nechutová, CSc.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Erlebachová
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- OBOR ( LJU ) || OBOR ( LLS ) || ( OBOR ( LJ ) && TYP_STUDIA ( N ))
Knowledge of Latin to the extent of the B. A. State Exam. The exam itself is not required for the enrollment to the course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 9 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to present the problems of studying, interpreting and translating Medieval Latin literature based on a particular text. The course focuses on the letters and polemical writings of Jan Hus, which belong to the principle research topic of the Medieval Latin specialization of the Department of Classical studies.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to understand the basic issues of the Early Czech Reformation, Hus's mode of thinking and his literary legacy as well as the basics of medieval Latin epistolography.
- 1. M. Jan Hus, his life and work, significance; Hus as a literary author
- 2. Genesis of texts
- 3. Availability and accessibility of his works (manuscripts, editions)
- 4. Hus's letters and polemical writings in the context of his literary production
- 5. Hus's epistolographic style
- 6. Hus's polemical devices
- 7. Reading of selected letters and polemical writings
- required literature
- Korespondence a dokumenty (Variant.) : M. Jana Husi Korespondence a dokumenty. info
- Slovníky klasické a středověké latiny podle pokynů vedoucí semináře
- recommended literature
- HUS, Jan. Magistri Iohannis Hus Polemica. Edited by Jaroslav Eršil. Turnhout: Brepols, 2010. xxxii, 647. ISBN 9782503532547. info
- KEJŘ, Jiří. Jan Hus známý i neznámý : (resumé knihy, která nebude napsána). Vyd. 1. Praha: Karolinum, 2009. 137 s. ISBN 9788024616438. info
- KEJŘ, Jiří. Husovo odvolání od soudu papežova k soudu Kristovu. Ústí nad Labem: Albis International, 1999. 59 s. ISBN 80-86067. info
- KYBAL, Vlastimil. M. Jan Hus : život a učení. D. II. Část 1, Učení. V Praze: nákladem Jana Laichtera, 1923. 466 s. info
- not specified
- A companion to Jan Hus. Edited by František Šmahel - Ota Pavlíček. Leiden: Brill, 2015. x, 447. ISBN 9789004280557. info
- Teaching methods
- One 2-hour seminar per week, reading (translation), class discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Type of teaching: seminar. Requirements: regular attendance in the course (min. 75%) and active participation in the class discussions; continuous reading of presented texts; written paper (translation with commentary).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Studenti jednooborového plánu (completus) volí ukončení kolokviem.
The course is taught once in two years.
The course is taught: every week.