PřF:C3181 Biochemistry I - Course Information
C3181 Biochemistry IFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Petr Skládal, CSc. (lecturer)
- prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Glatz, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Petr Skládal, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 17. 9. to Fri 14. 12. Tue 9:00–10:50 A11/205
- C2021 Organic Chemistry I || C2700 Basic Organic Chemistry
Basic knowledge of organic and general chemistry, biology
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 17 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course covers the basic fields of biochemistry from the chemical point of view. Most important properties and structure of natural substances(aminoacids and proteins, carbohydrates, lipids) are described here. The general description of chemical reactions in the cell includes enzymes and coenzymes, their properties and structure, active site, thermodynamics, enzyme kinetics, inhibition, allostery and regulation of enzyme acitivity. Special chapters describe most important metabolism of carbohydrates and lipids with emphasis on energetic features of metabolism.
The goal of this course in to equip students with the basic knowledge about chemical principles of metabolism.
- Learning outcomes
- The goal of this course in to equip students with the basic knowledge about chemical principles of metabolism of saccharides and lipids, cellular bioenergetics, structure and function of proteins and enzyme catalysis.
- 1. Aminoacids, properties, determination, chromatography 2. Peptides, peptide bond, primary, secondary, terciary, quaternary structure 3. Non-repetitive structures, colagene, hydropathy, properties of proteins 4. Glycides, properties, reactions, anomers, hemiacetals, anomers. conformation 5. Glycosides, oligosaccharides, polysaccharides (starch, glycogen, chitin), heteropolysaccharides. 6. Lipids, acylglycerols, phospholipids, plasmalogens, sphingolipids, steroids 7. Nucleic acids, nucleosides, nucleotides, primary structure 8. DNA, RNA, double-helix, superhelix, denaturation, hybrid structure, methods for determination of primary structure 9. Thermodynamics in biochemistry, macroergic bond, reaction kinetics, enzymes, their active site, prosthetic groups, coenzymes, mechanism of enzyme catalysis 10. Coenzymes and vitamins, nicotinamide and NAD, flavins, ATP. AMO, cAMO, biotin, thiamin, coenzyme A, lipoic acid, folic acid 11. Pyridoxalphosphate, B12, metaloporphyrins, iron-sulfur proteins, vitamin C, lipophilic vitamins 12. Michaelis-Menten equation, Km, VL, turnover number, enzyme activity 13. Anabolism, catabolism, their regulation, anaerobic glycolysis 14. Gluconeogenesis, synthesis of PEP, glycogenolysis, synthesis of glycogen, Cori cycle
- Vodážka - Biochemie
- Voet, Voetová - Biochemie; Zubay, Parson, Vance - Principles of Biochemistry
- Mikeš - Základní pojmy z biochemie II
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical lecture.
- Assessment methods
- Lecture 2 hr. Written examination.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- C3190 Biochemistry I - seminar
- C4182 Biochemistry II
- C4200 Biochemistry II - seminar
C3181 && NOW(C4182)
- C4220 Biochemistry - laboratory course
- C4830 Instrumental Methods in Biochemistry
C3181 || C3580
- C6200 Biochemical Methods
- C6211 Biotechnology
C3181 && !NOWANY(C6210)
- C6560 Biochemistry - laboratory course
- C7860 Plant Biochemistry
C3181 || C3580 || C5720
- C3190 Biochemistry I - seminar
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2018/C3181