PřF:Z0062 Cartography and topography - Course Information
Z0062 Cartography and GeoinformaticsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 4/1/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Karel Staněk, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Šárka Březinová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Zbyněk Štěrba, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Vladimír Herber, CSc.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc.
- Wed 9:00–10:50 A,01026, Thu 10:00–11:50 A,01026
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
Z0062/02: Thu 8:00–8:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
Z0062/03: Thu 15:00–15:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
Z0062/04: Tue 9:00–9:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
Z0062/05: Tue 8:00–8:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
Z0062/06: Thu 13:00–13:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
Z0062/07: Thu 16:00–16:50 Z1,01001b, Š. Březinová, Z. Štěrba
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 130 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/130, only registered: 0/130
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the subject is to present fundamentals of analog and digital cartography and geoinformatics. The lecture presents basic cartographic methods for expression of content of topographic, thematic and general geographic maps and atlases, basic factors and methods of cartographic generalization, and an overview of cartographic techniques and measurements, especially cartometric, on maps of all types. The subject also includes basic information on utilization of modern technologies in cartography and geography, with focus on GIS. Also included are introduction to geoinformatics, spatial science and geographic visualization, overview of global spatial-oriented projects and characteristics of the role of spatial information in global information society and methods of determination of its market value.
- 1. Determination and definition of spatial data, information and knowledge. Relationship with non-spatial data and information. Cartography and geoinformatics. 2. Role of cartography in system of sciences, relations to other scientific disciplines. Definition and subject matter of cartographic research. Analog and digital cartography. Development of cartography as a science. Cartography and geography. 3. Cartographic means of expression. Methods of expressing content of topographic, geographic and thematic maps. Cartograms. Cartographic language. Cartographic interpretation. 4. Definition, basic factors and methods of generalization. Methods and solutions in classic and computerized cartography. Generalization of content of topographic, thematic and geographic maps. 5. Overview of cartographic techniques and measurements. Methods of cartometry. Utilization of cartometry in topography and thematic cartography. 6. History of cartography. 7. Modern technologies and cartography: GIS, GPS, remote sensing: basic trends and knowledge. 8. Introduction to geoinformatics. 9. Theory of spatial science. 10. Cartographic visualization. 11. Organizations of cartographers and users of geographic data in the Czech Republic, Europe and the World (ICA, ISPRS, FIG, EUROGI, AGILE, GISIG, etc.). 12. Global projects and role of cartography and GIS in their solving. 13. Role of geographic information in global information society. Cartography and new economics. Market value of cartographic and geographic information.
- PRAVDA, Ján. Stručný lexikón kartografie. 1. vyd. Bratislava: VEDA, vydavateľstvo Slovenskej akadémie ved, 2003. 325 s. ISBN 8022407631. info
- DEMERS, Michael N. Fundamentals geographic information systems. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2000. xiii, 498. ISBN 0471314234. info
- ČAPEK, Richard, Miroslav MIKŠOVSKÝ and Ludvík MUCHA. Geografická kartografie. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1992. 373 s. ISBN 8004251536. info
- LAUERMANN, Lubomír. Technická kartografie. Díl I. 1. vyd. Brno: Vojenská akademie, 1975. 346 s. info
- Assessment methods
- Written tests in the form of questions where brief and concise answers are expected. When preparing for the exam hold to this topics: Overview of topographic, geographic, thematical and atlas map resources National atlases of the Czech Republic - analogue and digital Atlas evaluation Map sheets determining Map content interpretation Practical work with maps (morphometrical characteristics based on the information from maps) Nivelation and tachymetry Global Positioning System (GPS) Data and information resources for GIS Basis of digitalization and vectorizing Basic GIS operations Digital map creation in GIS
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses