PřF:Z0062 Cartography and Geoinformatics - Course Information
Z0062 Cartography and GeoinformaticsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 4/1/0. 5 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Karel Staněk, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! Z0262 Geoinformatics && ! Z2062 Cartography
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the subject is to present fundamentals of analog and digital cartography and geoinformatics. The lecture presents basic cartographic methods for expression of content of topographic, thematic and general geographic maps and atlases, basic factors and methods of cartographic generalization, and an overview of cartographic techniques and measurements, especially cartometric, on maps of all types. The subject also includes basic information on utilization of modern technologies in cartography and geography, with focus on GIS. Also included are introduction to geoinformatics, spatial science and geographic visualization, overview of global spatial-oriented projects and characteristics of the role of spatial information in global information society and methods of determination of its market value.
- 1. Determination and definition of spatial data, information and knowledge. Relationship with non-spatial data and information. Cartography and geoinformatics. 2. Role of cartography in system of sciences, relations to other scientific disciplines. Definition and subject matter of cartographic research. Analog and digital cartography. Development of cartography as a science. Cartography and geography. 3. Cartographic means of expression. Methods of expressing content of topographic, geographic and thematic maps. Cartograms. Cartographic language. Cartographic interpretation. 4. Definition, basic factors and methods of generalization. Methods and solutions in classic and computerized cartography. Generalization of content of topographic, thematic and geographic maps. 5. Overview of cartographic techniques and measurements. Methods of cartometry. Utilization of cartometry in topography and thematic cartography. 6. History of cartography. 7. Modern technologies and cartography: GIS, GPS, remote sensing: basic trends and knowledge. 8. Introduction to geoinformatics. 9. Theory of spatial science. 10. Cartographic visualization. 11. Organizations of cartographers and users of geographic data in the Czech Republic, Europe and the World (ICA, ISPRS, FIG, EUROGI, AGILE, GISIG, etc.). 12. Global projects and role of cartography and GIS in their solving. 13. Role of geographic information in global information society. Cartography and new economics. Market value of cartographic and geographic information.
- PRAVDA, Ján. Stručný lexikón kartografie. 1. vyd. Bratislava: VEDA, vydavateľstvo Slovenskej akadémie ved, 2003. 325 s. ISBN 8022407631. info
- DEMERS, Michael N. Fundamentals geographic information systems. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2000. xiii, 498. ISBN 0471314234. info
- ČAPEK, Richard, Miroslav MIKŠOVSKÝ and Ludvík MUCHA. Geografická kartografie. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1992. 373 s. ISBN 8004251536. info
- LAUERMANN, Lubomír. Technická kartografie. Díl I. 1. vyd. Brno: Vojenská akademie, 1975. 346 s. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical lectures, practical applications
- Assessment methods
- Test on PC by separate questions where answers are pre-defined and therefore user chooses the right. All ellaborates during the semester have to be at least for 25 points (every ellaborate is evaluated between 1 a 5 points) from possible 40 points.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: pokud student neprospěl v jarním semestru 2010, zapisuje tento předmět, ale výuku v jarním semestru 2011 absolvuje v rámci ekvivaletních předmětů (Z2062 a Z0262).
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2011/Z0062