PřF:Bi4020c Molecular biology - practice - Course Information
Bi4020c Molecular biology - laboratory practiceFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Petr Beneš, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tibor Botka, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jarmila Navrátilová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jiří Kohoutek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lucia Knopfová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Sylva Koudelková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lucie Kuntová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Petr Beneš, Ph.D.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Petr Beneš, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- Bi4020c/01_1: Wed 13:00–16:50 D36/216, L. Knopfová, J. Kohoutek
Bi4020c/01_2: Wed 13:00–16:50 D36/216, L. Knopfová, J. Kohoutek
Bi4020c/02_1: Wed 9:00–12:50 D36/216, S. Koudelková, J. Navrátilová
Bi4020c/02_2: Wed 9:00–12:50 D36/216, S. Koudelková, J. Navrátilová
Bi4020c/03: Fri 12:00–15:50 D36/216, S. Koudelková
Bi4020c/04: Thu 13:00–16:50 D36/216, T. Botka
- ( C1600 Laboratory in Chemistry || C1080 General Chemistry-lab.course || C1620 General and Inorg.Chem.-lab. || C1650 Fundamentals of Chem.-lab. || C2100 Inorganic Chemistry-lab.course || C2500 General Chemistry-lab.course || C2740 Fundament. of Chem.-lab.course || C2480 Basic Organic Chem. and Bioch. || Bi9410 Structural Biology || SOUHLAS ) && ( Bi4020 Molecular biology || NOW ( Bi4020 Molecular biology )) && ! NOWANY ( Bi4010c Essential mol. biol - seminar , Bi4035 Molecular biology - lab.pract. ) && ! Bi4010c Essential mol. biol - seminar && ! Bi4035 Molecular biology - lab.pract.
Basic knowledge of structure and function of prokaryotic and eukaryotic genome, aseptic microbiological techniques, and preparation of chemical solutions. Participants should have already passed basic practicals from organic and anorganic chemistry and microbiology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 150 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 84/150, only registered: 0/150
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 17 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able to isolate and analyze genetic material including chromosomal and plasmid DNA.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
isolate plasmid DNA of sufficient quality and quantity;
analyze isolated genetic material by basic methods of molecular biology such as restriction endonuclease cleavage and electrophoresis;
prepare sufficient amount of PCR product of the gene of interest;
create the construct of the plasmid vector and the insert of the gene of interest and perform the transformation of competent cells;
use theoretical knowledge of other methods and principles in subsequent laboratory practice
- This course include the practical tasks to learn the basic methods of molecular biology, including: Preparation of basic chemical solutions Isolation of plasmid DNA Determination of DNA concentration and purity Restriction cleavage Electrophoresis PCR Centrifugation
- GREEN, Michael R. and Joseph SAMBROOK. Molecular cloning : a laboratory manual. 4th ed. New York [N.Y.]: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 2012. xxxiii, 63. ISBN 9781936113422. info
- ŠMARDA, Jan, Jiří DOŠKAŘ, Roman PANTŮČEK, Vladislava RŮŽIČKOVÁ and Jana KOPTÍKOVÁ. Metody molekulární biologie (Methods of molecular biology). 1st ed. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 194 pp. 1. vydání. ISBN 80-210-3841-1. info
- Teaching methods
- Students perform laboratory experiments according to curriculum. Study materials are available in the MUNI IS.
- Assessment methods
- Students independently manage the entered tasks and correctly interpret the results in laboratory protocols.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Bi4010c Essential molecular biology - seminar
!Bi4020c && (NOW(Bi4010) || NOW(Bi4020) || Bi4010 || Bi4020)
- Bi6336c Biology of germ-cells-practical lesson
- Bi7420 Modern methods for genome analysis
Bi1700 && (Bi4010 || Bi4020) && (Bi4020c || Bi6400)
- Bi9310 Real-time polymerase chain reaction
Bi4035 || Bi4020c
- Bi9310c Real-time polymerase chain reaction – practice
(Bi4035 || Bi4020c) && NOW(Bi9310)
- Bi4010c Essential molecular biology - seminar
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2023/Bi4020c