PřF:Bi4020 Molecular biology - Course Information
Bi4020 Molecular biologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0/0. 3 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Jan Šmarda, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Jana Šmardová, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jan Šmarda, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jan Šmarda, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- ! Bi4010 Essential molecular biology
Basic knowledge of general zoology and botany, microbiology, genetics, physiology, organic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 32 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to explain the structure of genomes of various organisms, to provide students with information how genetic information is stored and expressed. Students are also familiarized with the processes by which genetic information can be changed and what this means for the phenotype of the cell/organism.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to understand and explain basic principles of molecular biology and genetics on molecular level and their basic phenomena - the structure, replication, expression and changes of genes.
- 1. History of molecular biology. Nucleic acids (primary, secondary and tertiary structure of DNA and RNA, different conformations of DNA and their significance in biological systems)
- 2. Genetic information and the genetic code.
- . 3. Molecular structure of procaryotic and eucaryotic genome.
- 4. Replication of procaryotic and eucaryotic genome
- 5. Transcription of prokaryotic and euckryotic genome. Posttranscriptional modification and processing of RNA, especially in eukaryotes. Mechanisms of splicing and self-splicing
- 6. Translation of prokaryotic and eukaryotic mRNA. Posttranslational processing
- 7. Regulation of gene expression in prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- 8. Molecular basis of acquired immunity
- 9. Molecular mechanisms of mutagenesis and recombination Molecular basis of cancerogenesis (oncogenes, antioncogenes. Repair mechanisms of damaged DNA
- 10. Mobile genetic elements, Transposons and retrotransposons.
- 11. Basic principles of gene engineering
- recommended literature
- WILSON, John H. and Tim HUNT. Molecular biology of the cell : the problems book / John Wilson and Tim Hunt. Sixth edition. New York: Garland Science, 2014. xvi, 966. ISBN 9780815344537. info
- CLARK, David P. Molecular biology. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2005. xviii, 784. ISBN 0121755517. info
- ALBERTS, Bruce. Základy buněčné biologie : úvod do molekulární biologie buňky a : Essential cell biology (Orig.). Ústí nad Labem: Espero Publishing. xxvi, 630,. info
- not specified
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Genetika. Edited by Jiřina Relichová. Druhé, aktualizované vydá. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017. xix, 844. ISBN 9788021086135. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures are based on power-point pictures, tables and texts elaborated accordindg to textbooks, monographs and scientific papers which are explained and complemented with teacher comments. All the presentations are available on IS MUNI.
- Assessment methods
- Visiting of the course is not obligatory. The exam is a written test in which students should answer 50 questions covering main topics of individual lectures. To pass the exam the students should answer 60% of the answers.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics
(souhlas || Ex_3162 || Imp_9126 || B1900 || BMB32 || B6730 || B8470 || B3060 || Bi3060) && (Ex_3065 || Imp_9115 || B3120 || B4020 || B5740 || B6130 || B7940 || Bi4010 || Bi4020) && (Bi6401 || Bi3002 || Bi6491 || souhlas)
- Bi1100 Mechanisms of hormonal regulation
Bi3030 || Bi6790 && (NOW(Bi4020) || Bi4020) && !Bi1100en
- Bi3001 Bachelor thesis EMB 1
Bi4020 || JA001 || JA002 || JA001A && NOW(Bi3330) || NOW(Bi3332) || NOW(Bi3334) || NOW(Bi3336) || NOW(Bi3338)
- Bi4010 Essential molecular biology
- Bi4010c Essential molecular biology - seminar
!Bi4020c && (NOW(Bi4010) || NOW(Bi4020) || Bi4010 || Bi4020)
- Bi4020c Molekulární biologie - cvičení
(C1600 || C1080 || C1620 || C1650 || C2100 || C2500 || C2740 || C2480 || Bi9410 || souhlas) && (Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020)) && !NOWANY(Bi4010c,Bi4035) && !Bi4010c && !Bi4035
- Bi4025en Molecular Biology
(!Bi4020) && (!Bi4010) && !NOWANY(Bi4010,Bi4020)
- Bi4030c Molecular biology - practice
(Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020)) && (Bi4030 || NOW(Bi4030))
- Bi5000 Bioinformatics
Bi4010 || Bi4020
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics