PřF:Bi3060 Basic genetics - Course Information
Bi3060 Basic geneticsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0/0. 3 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- doc. RNDr. Petr Kuglík, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Pavel Lízal, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Petr Kuglík, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Petr Kuglík, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Knowledge of basic genetic principles from the secondary school.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 23 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This lecture provides explanation of basic concepts of classical genetics. At the end of this course students should be able: to understand basic principles of classical and molecular genetics; explain the rules of inheritance in cells, individuals and populations; describe basic genetic applications and methods used in medicine, agriculture and animal breeding.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course students should be able: to understand basic principles of classical and molecular genetics; explain the rules of inheritance in cells, individuals and populations; describe basic genetic applications and methods used in medicine, agriculture and animal breeding.
- 1. Introduction to genetics, brief history of genetics. 2. Mendel´s study of heredity. Principles of segregation and independent assortment. 3. Allelic interactions. Gene interactions. 4. Mendelian principles in human genetics. 5. Mechanisms of sex determination. Sex differentiation. Inheritance of sex-linked genes. 6. Linkage and crossing-over. 7. Chromosome mapping in eukaryotes. 8. Mutations and mutagens. 9. Cytogenetics, microstructure of chromosomes, karyotype. 10. Variations in chromosome number. 11. Variations in chromosome structure. 12. Genetic determination of quantitative traits and their analysis. 13. Principles of population genetics.
- recommended literature
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Principles of genetics. Seventh edition. 648 stran. ISBN 9781118875896. info
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Genetika. Edited by Jiřina Relichová. Druhé, aktualizované vydá. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017. xix, 844. ISBN 9788021086135. info
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter, Michael J. SIMMONS, Jiřina RELICHOVÁ, Jiří DOŠKAŘ, Jiří FAJKUS, Petr HOŘÍN, Aleš KNOLL, Petr KUGLÍK, Jan ŠMARDA, Jana ŠMARDOVÁ, Renata VESELSKÁ and Boris VYSKOT. Genetika (Principles of Genetics). 1st ed. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2009. 894 pp. Učebnice. ISBN 978-80-210-4852-2. URL info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- weekly lectures, writting test. The test from the whole content of the lecture.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics
(souhlas || Ex_3162 || Imp_9126 || B1900 || BMB32 || B6730 || B8470 || B3060 || Bi3060) && (Ex_3065 || Imp_9115 || B3120 || B4020 || B5740 || B6130 || B7940 || Bi4010 || Bi4020) && (Bi6401 || Bi3002 || Bi6491 || souhlas)
- Bi0999 Molecular ecology
(Bi1030 && Bi2090 && Bi3060 && Bi4010 && Bi7900 && Bi7150) || souhlas
- Bi3060c Basic genetics - practice
- Bi5180 Quantitative genetics
Bi3060 && Bi5040
- Bi6170 Genetics II
- Bi6270 Cytogenetics and cytogenomics
Bi3060 && Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020) || Bi4010
- Bi6270c Cytogenetics - practice
Bi3060 && Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020) && NOW(Bi6270)
- Bi7150 Mechanisms of Microevolution
- Bi7240 Applied genetics and plant breeding
Bi3060 && Bi4020
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics