PdF:SZ6021 Social Pathology in Secondary - Course Information
SZ6021 Social Pathology in Secondary EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Kateřina Lojdová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Martin Šťastný (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Kateřina Lojdová, Ph.D.
Department of Education - Faculty of Education
Supplier department: Department of Education - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- SZ6021/01: Tue 14:00–15:50 učebna 42, M. Šťastný
SZ6021/02: Tue 16:00–17:50 učebna 42, M. Šťastný
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! NOWANY ( SZ6013 Drama Education in Teaching Practice , SZ6014 Global Development Education in Teachers Preparation , SZ6016 Methods of Respecting Education Training , SZ6017 Multicultural Lectures at Secondary Education , SZ6018 Personal and Social Education , SZ6019 Support of Student's Elf-development through Coaching Techniques , SZ6020 Education of Student's with Different first Language , SZ6015 Cross-curricular Subjects in the National Framework Programme , SZ6022 Values Education in Teaching Practice , SZ6023 Gifted Student's Education , SZ6024 Education in Teaching Practice , SZ6025 Analysis and Interpretation of Educational Situations in Schools )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 44 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 45/44, only registered: 2/44, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 2/44
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 60 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the subject is to provide students with a critical framework for understanding risk behvaiour that can be seen at their pupils and students. This critical framework is based on theories of social deviation in the complex bio-psycho-social model and on fidings from international research. The seminars are taught interactively on the basis of research data analysis (especially qualitatively focused research), stories taken from media and one’s own experience (e.g. a narrative on the topic of my drunk story). Individual topics are illustrated on examples of real stories that are critically interpreted in the seminar. The seminar puts emphasis on interdisciplinarity; and it is based on sociological, philosophical, psychological, and anthropological findings, which are put into the pedagogical context. Preparation for the seminar includes reading of original research in English. Complex and crticial reflection of socially pathological phenonema is a precondition for prevention and solution of socially pathological phenomena by the subject participant in both curricular and extracurricular environment.
- Learning outcomes
- Learning outcomes:
• understanding of theories of social deviation: a student understands causes of social deviations in biological, psychological, and social fields and their interrelation;
• ability to apply theories of social deviations on explanation of their rise, process and social assessment of socially pathological phenomena;
• understanding of pupils and readiness to solve pupils’ problems connected with socially pathological phenomena in cooperation with other school professionals (school consultation office) and outside school (Educational Care Centre, Educational and Psychological Counselling, facilities for institutional and protective education);
• students are able to competently evaluate risk behvaiour prevention activities.
- 1. What is normal, what is deviant and what is socially pathological? How can a social norm be defined? How is a social norm changed in space and time? Can social deviations be positive? Normality, deviation and social pathology in a school institution. What is a role of social reaction to normal and deviant behaviour? Who is a hidden deviant and who is false-labelled? Who labels? A teacher as a social control agent and power connected with process of labelling and secondary deviation. A labelled pupil’s life story.
- 2. Primary prevention of risk behaviour and dealing with risk behaviour in the classroom.
- 3. Why do pupils use addictive substances? Is consummation of addictive substances addiction? What differences are there in ways to addiction in case of children and teenagers? How to recognize an addicted person? Alcohol and its consummation by children and teenagers. Stories of alcohol consummation: drunk stories. The myth of alcohol in teenagers’ life, analysis of drunk stories in a study group.
- 4. Illegal drugs in children’s and teenagers’ life. How to recognize a pupil influenced by opiates, stimulants, volatile substances, and cannabis drugs, etc.? How to deal with a pupil influenced by addictive substances?
- 5. Aggressivity in school. Fights as a cultural form (Bittnerová). Is aggressive behaviour normal for teenagers? And when is it bullying? What are forms of bullying? Why does a bully do it? And what does bullying mean to the victim? What is the mutual relationship between a bully and victim? Who are performers of bullying? How to examine bullying in school? How to solve it? Analysis of an interview with a victim and bully.
- 6. Cyberbullying. What is the relation between bullying and cyberbullying? How easy is it to become a victim or bully in online environment? What are means of cyberbullying? A story of Megan Mayer. Prevention of cyberbullying, an example of a project http://www.e-bezpeci.cz/.
- 7. Aggressivity outside school. Football hooligans. Expriencing deviant behaviour in a group. What is attractive in vandalism? Vandalism as a group social deviation. Why graffiti? Do sprayers want to destroy or create? Possibilities of vandalism prevention. Stories of sprayers. Can children commit suicide? Why? Sucidality of children and teenagers, suicidal attempts, and demonstrative suicides. Profiles of teenager suicides. A continual model of suicidal behaviour and possibility of pedagogue’s intervention in each phase. Self-harming (parasuicidum) – why do they cut themselves? A connection to the emo subculture?
- 8. Racism and ethnicity in school. What is a race? Are there races nowadays? A race as a taboo in social sciences? What does research on race related to academical achievement of children say? Academical achievement as a “white” culture feature (an example of research by Fordham and Ogbu)? How to manage ethnical variety in school and prevent socially pathological phenomena? (research by Jarkovská)
- 9. Children’s and teenagers’ extremism? Why do children have more radical opinions than adults? What are features of right wing and left wing extremism? What are the similarities? Socialisation into extremist subcultures.
- 10. Terrorism in school. Why does somebody shoot a teacher and classmates? Analysis of a school massacre case. Terrorism in society. Analysis of a terrorist’s life story (a current terrorist attack). Approaches to a phenomenon analysis, terrorist’s motivation, and dynamics of a terrorist group, characteristics of a terrorist profile, forms. Why can women be more dangerous terrorists than men? Gender aspects of terrorism – e.g. a story of Ulrike Meinhoff. Other forms of terrorism and examples of terrorist organizations: ultra-left wing terrorism, ultra-right wing terrorism, ethnical terrorism, religious terrorism, environmental terrorism, single-issue terrorism;
- 11. What are forms of commercial sexual child abuse? Child trafficking (intrafamiliar x extrafamiliar), child prostitution, child pornography. Children and teenagers as pedophile’s victims. An analysis of pedophile’s strategies to attract victims.
- 12. Prevention of socially pathological phenomena, institutional framework of primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention of Special Police Unit. Prevention and solution of socially pathological phenomena in school. Prevention and solution of socially pathological phenomena in school consultation facilities. Inclusive school and socially pathological phenomena.
- Fordham S., & Ogbu, J. (1986). Black students' school success: Coping with the “burden of ‘acting white’”. The Urban Review, 18(3), 176–206.
- Tutenges, S., & Rod, M. H. (2009). ‘We got incredibly drunk… it was damned fun’: Drinking stories among Danish youth. Journal of youth studies, 12(4), 355–370.
- FISCHER, Slavomil and Jiří ŠKODA. Sociální patologie : závažné sociálně patologické jevy, příčiny, prevence, možnosti řešení. 2., rozšířené a aktualiz. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2014. 231 stran. ISBN 9788024750460. info
- HRČKA, Michal. Sociální deviace. Vyd. 1. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2001. 302 s. ISBN 80-85850-68-0. info
- Teaching methods
- class discussion, group projects
- Assessment methods
- 1) active participation in seminars,
2) preparation for seminars – theses submission (study of research, video/film),
3) analysis of a case and possibilities of solution in teacher’s/pedagogue assistant’s role.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- SZ6013 Drama Education in Teaching Practice
!NOWANY(SZ6014, SZ6015, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6014 Global Development Education in Teachers Preparation
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6015, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6015 Cross-curricular Subjects in the National Framework Programme
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025, SZ6615)
- SZ6016 Methods of Respecting Education Training
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6015, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6017 Multicultural Lectures at Secondary Education
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6015, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6018 Personal and Social Education
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6015, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6019 Support of Student's Elf-development through Coaching Techniques
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6015, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6020 Education of Student's with Different first Language
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6015, SZ6021, SZ6022, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025)
- SZ6022 Values Education in Teaching Practice
!NOWANY(SZ6013, SZ6014, SZ6016, SZ6017, SZ6018, SZ6019, SZ6020, SZ6021, SZ6015, SZ6023, SZ6024, SZ6025, SZ6622)
- SZ6013 Drama Education in Teaching Practice
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2021/SZ6021